Tuesday, July 28, 2009

24 weeks and baking up a storm!

Today, I am 24 weeks. Yay! That would be 6 months, correct? But, according to thebump.com, my third trimester doesn't begin until I'm 26 weeks.

Not that I'm rushing it or anything. I'm actually enjoying every second of this pregnancy, especially now that my energy is up.

Tuesday, July 28, 2009
How far along? 24 weeks!
Total weight gain/loss: -11lbs thus far.
Maternity clothes? Yes, a cute sleevelss maternity top (Thanks, Betsy!), black wide leg capris, and black wedges.
Stretch marks? None that are new
Sleep: OMG.. Petunia, my 1 1/2 year old black pug, has been getting into the habit of wanting to go out at 3AM very morning. Sometimes, it's at 3:30. Other times, at 4. But, sweet Jesus that's early! So, between getting up to pee 5 times a night, having to take the pugs out at not quite the crack of dawn - when it's my turn - is not helping.
Best moment this week: Finally ordering my crib bedding!
Movement: Lots! Feels like there's a fish swimming around in there! And, when Tony rubs my belly, I feel her even more. Already this kid has her daddy wrapped around her finger!
Food cravings: Nothing notable. Although, I'm going through a gallon of milk every three days.
Gender: Girl!!
Labor Signs: None.
Belly Button in or out? Still in, but it's a matter of time now.
What I miss: Sleeping until 6am.
What I am looking forward to: My 24 week OB appointment this Thursday.
Weekly Wisdom: Nothing to report this week.
Milestones: 6 months today!... I think

Speaking of energy, I know I'm not quite at that "nesting" stage, but lately, I've been baking up a storm. Well, OK, not really a storm - more like I baked two things, which is a lot for me, since I'm hardly what one would call a baker.

A couple of weeks ago, a friend handed me a ziplock bag filled with a loose doughy batter and asked me if I were interested in making some Amish Friendship Bread. "Why, sure!", I responded - not really knowing what I was agreeing to take on.

Well, it wasn't as hard as I thought. As long as you follow the directions precisely, it's a pretty simple recipe. Just dump everything in a bowl, mix it up, and pour into two loaf pans. The tricky part is the ten days prior to baking. Each day, the bag of starter has to be massaged and burped.

Yes, massaged and burped.

Here's the recipe:

Amish Friendship Bread
DO NOT REFRIGERATE
If air gets in the bag, let it out (burp it).
It is normal for the bag to expand and ferment.

Day 1: Do nothing. This is the 1st day that you received the batter.
Day 2: Massage the bag.
Day 3: Massage the bag.
Day 4: Massage the bag.
Day 5: Massage the bag.
Day 6: Add to the bag - 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup milk. Massage the bag.
Day 7: Massage the bag.
Day 8: Massage the bag
Day 9: Massage the bag
Day 10: Follow the instructions below.

  1. Pour the entire contents of the bag into a NON-METAL bowl.
  2. Add 1 1/2 cups plain flour, 1 1/2 cups sugar, and 1 1/2 cups milk. Stir with a NON-METAL spoon.
  3. Measure out a cup in four ziplock gallon bags. (There will be some left over). Keep a starter bag for yourself (you'll be making another batch in 10 days). Share the remaining three bags with friends along with a copy of this recipe. The bread is very good and makes a great gift; it also freezes well. Only the Amish know how to create a "starter", so if you give them all away, you'll have to wait until someone gives you a "starter" back. Should the recipe not be passed on to a friend the 1st day, be certain to tell the friend which day it is at when presented to them.

Baking Instructions

Preheat oven to 325. Add the following ingredients to the remaining batter in the bowl and mix with a mixer:

3 eggs, 1 cup oil, 1/2 cup milk, 1 cup sugar, 2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp vanilla, 1 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp salt, 2 cups flour, 2 small boxes vanilla instant pudding, optional: 1 cup raisins and/or nuts.

Grease two large loaf pans. In a seperate bowl, combine 1/2 cup sugar and 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon. Dust the greased pans with half of the cinnamon mixture. Pour the batter into the pans. Sprinkle the remaining cinnamon mixture over the batter. Bake for 1 hour.

I did not have cinnamon. So, I used pumpkin pie spice, which contains cinnamon, and it tasted delicious. I would actually add 1 cup less of sugar, because the addition of the pudding makes the recipe sweet enough.

I loved the finished product - moist, filling, and very autumnal.

The other item I baked recently was for Tony's cousin's high school graduation party this past weekend. I caught part of an episode of Everyday Italian on the Food Network, and watched Giada make a Ricotta Orange Poundcake that screamed to be made.

So, I listened, and I made it. And, it was a huge hit. Here's the recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/ricotta-orange-pound-cake-with-strawberries-recipe/index.html

I didn't have strawberries. So, I used blueberries, instead, and the flavor of the blueberries went nicely with the orange flavor of the pound cake.

Someone once told me I should be a pastry chef. I think basic knowledge of weights and measures is required to be one. So, I don't see a career change happening anytime soon. Until then, I'll keep them all guessing with those yummy sweet treats.

No comments: