Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Level 2 Ultrasound.. part deux

So.. a second level 2 ultrasound was scheduled a month after my 1st one, because our baby girl would NOT stop moving. She made it very difficult for the tech and doctor to properly measure her heart. So, I was asked to return in four weeks - when the heart would by then be the size of an olive.

Well, today was the day.

Mom came with me to the ultrasound. The technician - this time - spent most of the appointment talking to me about her own medical issues, as I lied there straining to catch glimpses of the bean's head, belly, and limbs on the monitor. I was a little annoyed, because with all due respect, lady, I'm not here to talk about the goiter that was removed from your thyroid gland, thankyouverymuch.

When the tech completed her measurements and finally stopped talking about herself (!!!), she stepped out of the room, and few minutes later, the doctor came in - along with another tech - not the same one from earlier, thank God... or so I thought.

The doctor proceeded to zero in on the bean's heart. There it was - beating at 150 beats per minute - nice and strong. It was amazing to see - as clear as day - all four chambers of my baby girl's heart and from every angle. The doctor expressed how pleased she was with everything she saw. Music to my ears!

She did ask the tech to schedule another ultrasound for me in another 10 weeks - due to my hypothyroidism, which is caused by an underactive thyroid. The tech made my appointment and came to stand next to the doctor as she finished up with the bean's measurements. I could clearly see that she too was pregnant.

As I stared at the monitor, both the doctor and tech conversed about the tech's pregnancy, and the next thing I know, the tech is asking the doctor about cleft palates.

:::blink, blink, blink:::

Um... do you think you could wait until the end of MY appointment before you start consulting with the doctor?? I mean, cleft palates?? Seriously?? Not exactly what a girl wants to hear while pictures and measurements are being taken of her not-yet-born baby. Not THIS girl, anyway.

Despite the uber-annoying technicians, I was happy to have the opportunity to see my daughter and how much she's grown in the last four weeks. She now weighs 1 pound and 3 ounces. Little bean.. And, I was also relieved that the doctor was happy with everything she saw.

I even received a great profile shot of the bean - doublechin and all.


Ha! Yeah, she's my kid.


Tuesday, July 14, 2009
How far along? 22 weeks exactly
Total weight gain/loss: Thus far, down at total of 11lbs
Maternity clothes? Today, I'm wearing black gaucho-style maternity pants (thank God for elastic waistbands!), a black sleevless top, and my favorite pair of black strappy wedges.
Stretch marks? This morning, I found a couple on my lower belly. Joy.
Sleep: It's getting increasingly difficult to sleep comfortably - even on my side.
Best moment this week: Seeing my babygirl again at my 2nd Level 2 ultrasound.
Movement: Yes! I can finally feel her swimming around in there.
Food cravings: Sushi. So, after my u/s, I grabbed a shrimp tempura roll and a sweet potato roll from Fuji, my local Japanese restaurant. So good!
Gender: GIRL!!
Labor Signs: No
Belly Button in or out? Still in.
What I miss: Sleeping through the night.
What I am looking forward to: Getting to enjoy my backyard once Tony puts up the fence this weekend. Yay!
Weekly Wisdom: Never leave home without your Tums!
Milestones: Every day of this pregnancy is a milestone.

No comments: