99. days. left. (!!!)
And, to mark such a milestone would befit yet another milestone.
Last night, I saw my belly move. A lot.
The bean was pretty active yesterday, but her movements were fluid and fish-like. Nothing new - until around 8pm when I polished off a glass of milk, sat on the couch with my laptop, and proceeded to feel something that felt like a kick.
Could it be?, I thought. And then I felt it again.
So, I stretched my t-shirt taut over my belly, watched, and waited.
And there, just to the right of my belly button was clear and distinct movement. A kick. A punch. Or a jab. And then another in the same spot.
To say "it was awesome" would be quite the understatement. It was surprising, amazing, and totally beyond awesome.
Unfortunately, Tony was out when this all occurred, but sleepy Sancho was my witness. Well, sort of. He was dozing off on my shoulder when I exclaimed, "Yay!". Curiously, he lifted his head, but unimpressed, he laid it back down. So, I went into my mother's room, sat on her bed with her, and described exactly what happened. And, together, we cried a little. It was one of those moments when we weren't just mother and daughter. We were girlfriends. Sisters - sharing a tiny but pivotal event that only two women can share and understand.
Thanks, mom.
So, by the time Tony got home - around 11pm - I was still riding the high of our little girl making herself noticed. After describing to me how his evening went, he sat down next to me on the couch to watch that last innings of the Yankees/Sox game. The Yanks were up 3 runs to 2. At that point, I knew a 3-game sweep was inevitable. So, in mid-play, I shared my news with Tony.
"I saw my belly move for the first time tonight", I said to him.
Silence.
"Baby?"
"Hmm?... That's great sweetie", he answered never removing his eyes from his iPhone, as he was clearly reading a text message or e-mail from his buddy and fellow Sox lover Art.
:::Sigh::: OK, I'll admit it. It may not have been the best time to direct his attention to me, but still.
Needless to say, I went up to bed after that - completely disappointed. But, it was short-lived. Lying there on my side and rubbing my belly, I felt another kick or jab. My baby girl was just letting me know that soon enough, her papa will come around and completley lose it over his baby daughter. We'll have a lifetime of amazing moments like these, and daddy's faraway distraction over a baseball game will be but a faint memory. So, until then, I'll get to continue sharing my own little moments with the bean.
Ha! She's not even born yet, and already, I'm being schooled by my daughter, whom undoubtedly will join her papa in teaching mama what patience and love are.
Aww.. sweet baby girl. Mama is counting the 99 days or so to meet you, too.


No comments:
Post a Comment