Tuesday, October 6, 2009

34 Weeks... and a Baby Shower.


How far along? 34 weeks today!
Total weight gain/loss: No weight gain since my last OB appt two weeks ago.
Maternity clothes? Purple embroidered babydoll non-maternity top, khaki maternity cords (most comfortable pants I’ve EVER put on), and brown canvas espadrille wedges.
Stretch marks? Yes.
Sleep: A little.
Best moment this week: Today, we had another scheduled ultrasound – to measure for growth. Seeing her face was magical. We could hardly make it out, but there she was, with her hands up to her mouth and moving like crazy. Hearing the doctor say, “this little girl is very entertaining” was HEAVEN.
Movement: A lot! She wasn’t as cooperative as she was at the last ultrasound, but it’s all good. She’s active, and that’s all that matters to me.
Food cravings: Farina. Yes, folks, that’s cream of wheat. And, I can’t get enough of its creamy and gritty goodness, and a sprinkle of sugar, cinnamon, and raisins makes it special.
Gender: Girl!
Labor Signs:
Random Braxton Hicks.
Belly Button in or out? Still on it’s way out!
What I miss: This week, I miss sushi. So, after my ultrasound, I stopped at Fuji Sushi and ordered the cooked kind - a crunchy shrimp tempura roll wrapped in crab and row. Oh my God – so good.
What I am looking forward to: Tonight’s Prepared Childbirth class.
Weekly Wisdom: At yesterday’s 34 week OB appointment, my doctor and I discussed Cord Blood Banking, Flu shots, and the H1N1 (swine flu) vaccine. Basically, it’s wiser to put my money into the baby’s college fund than into Cord Blood Banking. As for the flu shot, they offered it to me at my appt, and I accepted. I also plan on getting the swine flu shot once it becomes available in a couple of weeks. Apparently, pregnant women are at a higher risk to contract the flu and/or the swine flu, and either one could develop into pneumonia which is known to be fatal among pregnant women and their fetuses.
Milestones: Everything from my fabulous baby shower this past weekend - to reaching 34 weeks today - to seeing my 4lb, 5 oz. baby girl during my ultrasound this morning.


Speaking of “my fabulous baby shower”, it was truly fabulous. This past Saturday, around 40 of my closest and dearest friends and family gathered at The Pond House here in town to shower me with so many well wishes and loot, my head was swimming.

My mom hosted the shower, my mother-in-law took care of the favors and trays of Italian cookies for each table, and my childhood friend Betsy was in charge of the centerpieces, games, and decorations – among so many other details that made everything come together beautifully.

As tacky (or not) as it may seem, I actually helped to plan my own shower. I chose the venue, the date, the menu, and I even made the invitations.

Klassy (with a K)? Maybe.

Presumptuous of me? A little.

Am I a control freak? Definitely!

Here are what the invitation and enclosures looked like:



The blank notecards and envelopes were from Target. The monkey was found in Microsoft Clip Art. The font on the invitation is Papyrus. And, the poems – both on the invitation and on the book request enclosure – were found online by searching Google.

My “theme” was clearly monkeys, and my colors were fuchsia, pink, tangerine, and brown – all the colors in the crib bedding.

And, Betsy ran with it! See the shower pics below.

{ One of the tables - decorated with a diapercake centerpiece, Italian cookies, and oh-so-cute cheese grater favors.}

{ Part of the space. Those pom poms are from Martha Stewart Crafts and were made entirely of tissue paper and wire.}

{ Close-up of one of the famous monkey balloons.}


{ Entrance to the banquet space - flanked by Betsy's monkeys.}

{ Amazingly high wall of glass featuring views of the Pond and the Park.}

{ This is a doll bed that Betsy decorated and used as the "basket" for cards.}

{ The Moses basket filled with gifts that Betsy gave me - and one of the diapercake centerpieces.}


{ The loot.. ha!}

I didn’t include all the pictures that were taken, because I wanted to highlight the amazing job my mother-in-law, aunt, and a friend did in each of their crocheted and knitted works of art. I love handmade gifts!









It was wonderful to see all the amazing ladies - who have each touched my life in their own significant way - all together in one room. Their presence as well as their outpour of congratulations and well-wishes was overwhelming and humbling. I am truly very lucky – as is the little princess bean baking away in my belly.









{ Tony's aunt and awesome sister - she's like a sister to me.}

{ Tony's aunts and cousin.}

{ Me and my adorable mom.}

{ Sister-in-law, niece, me, and mother-in-law.}

{ Best shower helpers ever.}



In the next couple of weeks, I’ll be busy writing and sending thank you notes to all of my guests, as well as helping Tony complete the nursery in time for the baby’s arrival.

As for the thank you gifts for my mom, mother-in-law, and Betsy, I knew I wanted them to be as unique as each one of them. So, thanks to one of the message boards that I frequent, I came across a talented seller on Etsy.com whose shop is called MoonlightDoodles.



{ This necklace is similar to the ones I gave my mom and Betsy.}

{ This bracelet is the actual one I gave my mother-in-law. Each charm is stamped with the name of each of her grandkids' names, and one is stamped with what her grandkids call their grandparents - Ninny & PopPop.}

I presented each one their gift at the start of the shower, and I was so pleased to see how much they loved them. Those gifts were only the tip of the iceberg of my appreciation for all of their efforts to make my shower the special event it turned out to be.


No comments: