Monday, August 1, 2011

30 Day Photography Challenge ~ Day 1: Self Portrait

I cheated and took this picture on Friday.


This is me – bespectacled, in black, and slightly awkward. I think if you ask anyone who knows me to describe Patty, they’ll give you the same description.

The glasses are four years old, and I’ve been wearing them 100% of the time for the last couple of years. I forgot how messy glasses can get at the beach, until we went to Cape Cod on a mini vacation last month - sweat, sand, and sunscreen everywhere. Ugh. Must. Renew. Contacts. Prescription. And, dust off the Jackie Os. I miss my Jackie Os…

I’ve been wearing black since high school. My mom started calling me The Merry Widow – still does, in fact. She could never understand (and still doesn’t) how a young woman would choose to wear black all of the time. Honestly, it’s not for any philosophical reason. I just like black. It’s forgiving, and easy, and versatile... and forgiving. ;-) Although, slowly but surely, color is finding its way back into my wardrobe, and for that, I credit the little 30lb toddler who is currently ruling my life. Doesn’t make much sense to be draped in black when she turns the universe into a Technicolor rainbow, now does it?

Like most everyone, I have some awkwardness in me. I’m painfully shy and prone to anxiety, but once I’m comfortable, I’m an open book to the point of being borderline outspoken. Ask Tony. As exhausting as it must be, he has the ability to talk me off that proverbial ledge while also letting me be me, and all without judgments – God bless him. I can’t say I share in those abilities, but I’m working on it. It’s funny how easy it is to tame the crazy when your objective now is to raise a daughter who’s happy and confident.

So, there you have it. Day 1 – Self Portrait. A peek into Patty. Come back tomorrow for Day 2 of this 30 Day Photography Challenge - What I Wore.

No comments: