Tuesday, April 30, 2013

31 weeks

I'll admit. The last ten weeks or so have been a blur. It hit me this morning that in two short months, I can very well be holding a brand new baby. Crazy, right?

And, there's still so much to do.

We've yet to put the crib together in our bedroom. Nor have we gotten around to picking up the changing table from my sister-in-law, whom so graciously agreed to let us borrow hers. Nor have I gotten anything ready for the baby's arrival, like sterilizing bottles, pump parts, or even testing out the pump. Gah! I think I might panic.

Breathe, Patty.

Does this mean I'm nesting? Or starting to?

The last thing my blood pressure needs right now is to be anxious. So, it's going to have to be "baby-prep or bust" starting this weekend. Gotta get things done. Then, I can relax and wait for this bean to finish baking.

~

Tony and I already knew our Gigi-girl to be the smartest, sweetest, and sassiest little human on the planet (duh!), but lately, we're more in awe of her than ever before. At three and a half years, she says and does the most mind-blowing things. OK.. I'm about to go on and on about this little nugget. So, if you've just about had enough of this mom gushing over her "perfect" toddler, Stop. Reading. Now.


Consider yourself warned.

Gigi loves the Beastie Boys. So not kidding. The first time she heard Paul's Boutique on the car stereo, she said to Tony, "Daddy, I like this music". Now, it's all she wants to listen to. You got it, kid. She even has a favorite Beastie Boy. Mike D to be exact, and without missing a beat (pun very much intended), she said, "Mike D. D is for Diamonds". Um, yeah actually. It is! D stands for Diamond. Blew Tony's mind. How the heck did she even know that?? She scares me, that one.

Gigi loves our Presidents. During President's Week at preschool, she learned about a few of them. George Washington and Barack Obama. A couple of gems:
"George Washington lives (present tense, mind you) in a white house with stars on it. He's very important. He protects us from the trouble makers."
"George Washington is on a coin. Why isn't Barack Obama on a coin?"
One recent afternoon, we came home from school, and as soon as I turned on the TV, she said, "Let's see if Barack Obama is on". Um, ok!

Lately, she's been saying a few things things that Tony and I are not crazy about. For example, at preschool, she was recently asked to name her favorite farm animal. Her response: "Pigs. Pigs are pink. Pink is for girls." And this morning, as she played with her Cinderella Duplo Lego blocks, she told Tony, "The prince is driving. He's a boy. Boys drive better."
Sigh..
We wonder where she learns such things.. or perhaps it's just part of her own development? Who knows, but we definitely want her to understand that girls can do anything boys can do (and vice versa), boys can most certainly like pink, and girls can drive just as good - or as bad - as boys do. And, that's just the tip of the iceberg. It's important for us (and for her, obvi) that she NOT subscribe to the "traditional gender roles" that girls play with dolls and boys play with trucks. In fact, we've never said such a thing to her. Ever. Her playroom has a nice mix of trains, dolls, cars, craft supplies, trucks, puzzles, and whatever any toddler  - girl or boy - her age would enjoy. She loves to play dress up and then kick around a soccer ball outside. She'll take her baby for a walk and then play T-ball with Tony. I think we're doing a good job at exposing her to a lot of different activities and interests. So, for her to say that boys are better at something or girls like certain things just means we're a work in progress and we clearly need to do a better job at showing her by example that those things are just not the case. Same goes with her bother-or-sister-to-be, which by the way, she insists is a boy.. "..and his name is baby Jesus". Yeah, we're in trouble.

~

Without further ado... my weekly update.



How far along? 31 weeks


Total weight gain/loss: Actually lost a pound from last week's number. I'm thinking it's because I've been eating better - more spinach smoothies and less breakfast sandwiches. Mmm.. bacon. How I miss thee.
Maternity clothes? Non maternity black leggings and maternity denim tunic. Thank you, Old Navy! And, cute black wedges that I picked up at Payless last week when my 12 year old penny loafer wedges finally bit the dust. So long, old friend.
Stretch marks? Many
Sleep: Not much. Drinking water like it’s my job, which means I’m up 4 or 5 times per night to pee. Still applies to this week. Oh, and LOTS of movement, which will distract me from falling asleep.

Best moment this week: Heartburn has been my own personal hell these last few weeks. So, at my 30 week appt last Friday, I swear I almost kissed my doctor when she told me I could take Pepcid to relieve it. Yes! Sweet relief.
Movement: Yes, a lot. Still so beyond incomprehensible to me that there's a living being in there, growing, developing, and swimming around. Beyond!

Food cravings: Bolognese (meat sauce) over spaghetti. I need it. Now.
Gender: No clue. Earlier in my pregnancy, I took one of those Chinese Gender charts on the bump.com. It takes into consideration the mother's age at delivery and the month of conception. It predicted boy. We'll see!
Labor Signs: Just Braxton Hicks.

Belly Button in or out? Still in

What I miss: Crunchy Spicy tuna roll. Like nobody's business.

What I am looking forward to: Prepping for baby.
Weekly Wisdom: Today, I learned that I need to start monitoring the baby's movement. That was scary to read. Without even knowing, I already do this, but now, I'll be more conscious of it.

Milestones: 9 weeks left!

Tootles!

No comments: